Walking is an Extreme Sport

What an insane 48 hours it’s been at the Bruns household.  I’ve managed provide small tidbits here and there on Facebook, but thought I should chronicle the Great Walking Disaster of 2010.  It’s a long blog, but a lot has happened!

It all started so very innocently as I was walking out of a Starbucks on Friday afternoon.  I rolled my left ankle (which I’ve done no less then 3,539 times) and teetered thanks to to the extra baby weight. I ended up falling (to the ground) on my right hip. When I stood up and couldn’t stand I my left foot, I knew I had sprained my ankle (again, not the first time… and really not uncommon for me).  I should also mention there was a car coming out of the drive thru who drove RIGHT next to me when my pregnant butt was flailed on the ground. He/she didn’t even roll down their window to check on me. Whatevs.

Besides a really bruised ego, I thought my damage was relatively minor.  That is, until I looked down and saw a GIANT egg-shaped knot forming on my foot. I found this bizarre seeing as I had twisted my ankle.  Here’s what the foot looked like about an hour and a half after injury:

Seeing as I was to head out of town on Sunday for San Francisco (4 days for work, 4 days for fun), I thought I should have someone check it out.  I stopped by the CareNow by my house, where the staff was incredibly nice. After three X-rays, they told me I had a break in my 5th metatarsis (for the rest of us non-medical peeps, it’s the bone that runs from your pinky toe to the middle of your foot). The CareNow staff busted their hineys to find an orthopedic doc that would see me on a Friday pushing 4:00 p.m.  At this time, I was still hanging on to the San Fran trip.

 In a very rushed visit to Plano Orthopedics, the doc took a few more X-rays and said he normally doesn’t fix these types of fractures, but he probably would this one because I had snapped the end of the bone AND rotated it.  Nice job, Nicole!

I think Chris and I were seriously in shock, just going from a silly little sprain to SURGERY!?  Needless to say, I had to cancel all of our San Fran plans, which had me terribly upset on Friday and Saturday.  No one likes to cancel vacation plans!  We will be seeing my OB on Monday morning to get her opinion, and go see another Orthopedic, just to get a second opinion. 

For your viewing pleasure, here is the progress of my foot:

Day 1 (after incident). Notice the whole ankle and foot are ballooned up now
Day one – close up of where the break is. So colorful!    

Day two – look how lovely the colors are…and could my ankle be any fatter!?  It’s hard to tell, but just below my middle toes is bruised too.

Luckily the little dude in my belly has been happily kicking away, so I know he’s a tough one. I really truly appreciate everyone’s kind notes on Facebook and all the sweet e-mails, messages and phone calls I’ve received.  If anyone knows me at all, you know that lying on the couch is not something I’m very good at.  But, the care and concern from everyone sure has helped me feel better.  Chris has beyond amazing. He’s making sure I’m completely comfortable and well-fed 🙂  Speaking of food, I got some eggplant parmesan from my mom. I could get used to that 🙂 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s